Apollo Bay Chamber Of Commerce And Tourism Meeting Held 10 October 2011 At Shire Offices Nelson Street Apollo Bay Commencing At 5.30 Pm.
PRESENT: Cate Thomas, Nick Polgeest, John Riches, Taki Talihmandis, Tony James, Peter Sarda
APOLOGIES: Graham Floyer CEO Rob Small, Cr Frank Buchanan, Lynn Munro, Michael Swanson COS Business Development Officer, Peter Logg John Weiser, Wayne Kennedy, Justin Arthur, Jane Johnson
Meeting opened by Nick 5:37pm
Minutes of the previous meeting were confirmed and accepted as correct. PS (M) TT (S)
10/10/11 working account $4,526.28
Investment account $12,085.43
Finances have now been audited. Nick Polgeest signed the figures.
Action: Cate to send off to WHK.
JR (M) CT(S)
ANZ business breakfast invitation
Letter from Gayle Tierney re Barwon Water Catchment
Amy Gillett Gran Fondo
A request made from local businesses by John Riches to report the affect the race had on their business. In all there were approx. 14 responses, mostly on the web site, with most traders reporting there business was either good or up a little. This could have also been because the weather was good as compared to other weekends. It was decided that a letter should be written to the Gran Fondo committee requesting Apollo Bay to be involved, and that the Colac Otway Shire should be made aware that unless we are directly benefiting as a community we as a shire should not support the event.
Action: Tony James to draft a letter to the Gran Fondo committee requesting a meeting with the chamber.
Facebook & Web page
A strategy is required to drive more traders and members to our Facebook page to promote more discussion and interaction. Libby Riches who runs a social media business will prepare a quote to develop a strategy for the chamber.
Apollo Bay Pool
The public consultation meeting had an excellent turnout. Peter Logg & Frank Buchanan attended as representatives from the Chamber. There is not much to report other than the consultant has finished his work and is ready to report his findings. Stay tuned.
The results of the survey were reported in the local Apollo Bay Newssheet.
Gayle Tierney wrote to thanks us for our letter of concern re the water storage on the Barham, however she is convinced that the position has been well researched by all parties and stakeholders.
The seafood promotion planning is going well. Grants application has been written, we are still waiting for feedback from regional Development Victoria re funding. Chamber is to send $4000 invoice to Otways Tourism to cover costs of flags and banners.
Action: Cate to send invoice to OT.
Trish Goodlet has resigned from the OT committee and all board members have stood down. Due to the lack of certainty of the future of OT and the whole restructure of GOT we will not know what funding we will receive in the second half of the financial year. It is likely that the whole tourism operation will go back into the hands of the shire and be administered from there until restructure is complete.
A request was made from OT board for nominations to fill the outgoing positions, no nominations were forthcoming.
Action: Cate to send note to Yvette Hill of OT to advise no nominations were made.
A discussion was had that the chamber ensures that Les Noseda is remembered for his work in the community, particularly in relation to the Otway Walk.
Action: Chamber to continue to monitor and make request when appropriate to the shire.
Now that Les is no longer with us we need to meet with Caribou and discuss the formal arrangements between Caribou and the Chamber.
Action: Cate to request meeting with John Craven.
Next meeting 7 November 2011Shire Offices 5.30