Apollo Bay Chamber Of Commerce And Tourism Meeting Held 14 November 2011 at Shire Offices Nelson Street Apollo Bay Commencing At 5.30 Pm.
PRESENT: Cate Thomas, Graham Floyer, Cr Frank Buchanan, John Riches, Tony James, Mike Barrow
APOLOGIES: Nick Polgeest, Taki Talihmandis, Lynn Munro, Michael Swanson COS Business Development Officer, Peter Sarda
Meeting opened by late
12/11/11 working account $12,526.28
Investment account $12,085.43
Invoice from Otway Health for mentoring program (incorrect amount, Graham to send back for alteration)
Mike Barrow discussed the restructure and where it is at the moment. It appears that the current GOT model may remain in situ with the city of Greater Geelong pulling out of the whole structure. This is still to be finalised and confirmed but appears the most likely scenario at the moment.
Mike suggested that as a chamber we do become part of the suggested model with an advisory committee as he thinks it would be an excellent way of us feeding back our issues directly to his role where they can be followed up with appropriate stakeholders through a quicker and easier channel. The new structure would have Mikes role being in charge and responsible for the tourism officer who report directly to him. They would work from Apollo Bay. Mikes role would then be responsible to report directly to GOT and Tourism Vic. Mike suggested that it would be appropriate for a representative/s from the chamber approaching councillors to give representation of our chambers current membership and our direction. He also assured us that if the shire run with this model the Apollo bay Chamber of Commerce and Tourism would receive 40% of the membership as it did prior to OT being formed. This model would allow the chamber to be more responsive to its community and would appear to be more equitable as our membership currently holds over 60% of the total pool in the region.
Many thanks to Mike for his attendance at the meeting.
Amy Gillett Gran Fondo
Vicki Jefferies is arranging a suitable time for the organisers of the Amy Gillett Gran Fondo to come to meet with the Chamber.
Tony James suggested the Chamber write to the shire and express our disappointment in the shire of their funding to the tune of $5,000 in 2011 when there was no benefit to the Colac Otway Shire and its rate payers at all.
Action: Cate to draft letter, send to Tony for approval.
Facebook & Web page
Facebook is working quite well. Still waiting on a quote from Libby Riches re strategy.
The seafood promotion festival planning is going well. Grants application has been written, we are still waiting for feedback from regional Development Victoria re funding. Chamber has received $4000 through Otways Tourism to cover costs of flags and banners and $4000 from OT to assist with the festival.
Action: Cate still working with Power Cor and shire to allow placement of banners on light poles in the main street.
Next meeting 5 December 2011 Shire Offices 5.30