Apollo Bay Chamber Of Commerce And Tourism Meeting Held 5 December 2011 At Shire Offices Nelson Street Apollo Bay Commencing At 5.30 Pm.
PRESENT: Cate Thomas, Graham Floyer, John Riches, Tony James, Nick Polgeest, Taki Talihmandis, Justin
APOLOGIES:Lynn Munro (her birthday), Peter Sarda
Meeting opened 5.30pm
5/12/11 working account $11,326.28
Investment account $12,225.55
Thankyou from Otway Health Mentoring Program participants
Letter from Minister of Tourism confirming funding of $3500
Letter from Tourism Vic confirm same (see above)
Insurance for Festival
Insurance is required for the festival. We have it covered in the budget as long as we receive funding from RDV.
Action: Cate to monitor and report back to committee.
Insurance for committee
It has become apparent that the committee does not have insurance to cover its executive members. Given the climate with litigation it is seen essential to have at the very least insurance to cover the executive members form any external law suit that may be brought against them.
Action: Cate to seek quotes and send through to members for confirmation.
Discussion took place regarding restructure of Geelong Otways Tourism. It appears that the City of Greater Geelong has withdrawn form any future arrangements.
Action: Take to follow up and report back to committee.
Product Gap Audit
The product gap audit findings have been released and there are some major projects in our region that should have significant economic impacts for u in the future (positive). Projects include $200m interpretive centre at Port Campbell national Park. $20m International resort at Port Campbell. Funds injected into Moonlight Heads Retreat. Apollo bay appears to have been missed with any major or minor projects.
Apollo Bay Swimming Pool Feasibilty Study
Damien Gorman presented to the committee his three options which will be presented to the council members this week. The options are $3m at the school in its current location, $5.6m at the area above the recreational reserve and $10-$12m for the area identified at the harbour. The favoured site to date is the harbour area.
Councillors Lyn Russell, Frank Buchannan, Brian Crook and Stephan Hart have all shown support for the project to date.
The Bendigo Bank have indicated they would be happy to take the project on as a regular sponsor. The Chamber will encourage people to join the Bendigo Bank to assist with their ability to pass on profits to the community.
Action: John to report back to committee.
Facebook & Web page
Facebook is working quite well. Still waiting on a quote from Libby Riches re strategy.
The seafood promotion festival planning is going well. Grants application has been written, we are still waiting for feedback from regional Development Victoria re funding. Chamber has received $4000 through Otways Tourism to cover costs of flags and banners and $4000 from OT to assist with the festival and $3500 from Tourism Victoria.
All members will need to assist in some capacity on or before the weekend to ensure this event is a success.
Action: Cate still working with Power Cor and shire to allow placement of banners on light poles in the main street. Application to be sent to RDV for final funding.
It was decided that a formal document be created which sets out the members ‘wish list’ in order of priority for projects in the next financial year. This will assist the committee to steer the ship in the right direction and will be a tool to use as leverage in discussion with key stakeholders and politicians. It is seen as timely with Elections due.
A xmas breakup will be held at Nick Polgeests on Tuesday 20th December. BYO meat, salad and drinks. 6pm onwards. Hope to see you all there.
Have a safe and happy Christmas and New Year.
Next meeting 16 January 2011Shire Offices 5.30